The difference between success and failure in the retail food industry can be very fine, and with so much competition, you cannot afford to make any mistakes. Managing such a venture requires a number of skills, and with the right menu and a good location, you have the basis for a solid foundation. In case you are thinking of starting such a business, here are 5 essential things you will need to have.
- The Right Location – Location is everything in the retail food business, and hopefully, you have secured a prime location, with adequate numbers of people. Some retailers make the mistake of going for a low rent site, as they are reluctant to splash out on a prime location, but with most of the extra cost passed on to the consumer, you really should consider paying top dollar for your retail space, if you want to be successful, that is
- Excellent Presentation – Whatever else you might need, the right display environment is critical. People buy food that looks delicious and presentation means the right cabinets. If, for example, your outlet was in Australia, there are refrigerated bain marie from Butler Equipment, who are a market leader in the supply of chilled and heated food display and storage units. The food needs to be kept in optimum conditions, otherwise it will not look appetising, and your sales figures will reflect this.
- Great Service – The service plays a major part in the decision to return to an eating establishment, and with this in mind, staff training is an absolute must. It isn’t enough to train your staff to become proficient, they also need to feel like they are part of a team, and regular rewards and motivations will ensure your employees are dedicated to providing great service. If you can crack this one, you are halfway there.
- The Right Ambience – This needs to be carefully considered, and by asking yourself what it is that you are trying to create, you will get a clearer picture of what is required. There are professional shop fitters who can turn your dream into reality, and it might be an idea to consult an interior designer, as making an error is this department will cost you money. Ideally, your customers should feel at home and with good food and service, they are likely to return.
- Great Food – Of course, your produce will define you, and if you have the right menu and the food is well prepared, hopefully your business will become very busy. Whether you have a fast food outlet or perhaps a bakery, the range of items should be in line with the type of people that frequent the area. Market research is one way of obtaining essential data, and with some careful planning, you should be able to come up with something unique that defines your business.
The retail food industry is one of the most competitive there is, and without some serious research and planning, it is possible to get things wrong, and if that happens, it is very difficult to turn it around.